The Fall Season is a time to appreciate and give thanks to your loved ones. One of the ways you can show your love is through support and protection against falls. More than 1 out of 4 older adults falls each year. It is the number one cause for hospital visits for older adults. We need to protect our elders by supporting Falls Prevention Awareness Week.
Falls Prevention Awareness Week, September 20th through September 24th, is a national health initiative observed on the first day of the fall season to raise awareness for falls health, injury prevention and education.
Know The Stats
- Falls are the number one cause for injury and hospital visits due to trauma for those aged 65 years or older.
- More than 1 out of 4 older adults falls each year.
- Less than half may talk to their healthcare provider about their fall.
Identify the Causes
These are just some of the many causes of falls.
- Side effects from medications or accidentally skipping a dose
- Chronic health conditions
- Limited vision
- Low blood pressure
Reduce the Risk
- Review medications with your doctor or nurse and set up organization for medication management
- Illuminate dark hallways or pathways with nightlights
- Install grab bars for safely entering and exiting the bathtub/shower
- Remove throw rugs
- Tape cords and wires so they are out of the way
- Keep frequently used kitchen items on lower shelves
- Keep eyeglasses close to your bed
Remember to talk to your loved ones about fall prevention, support preventative organizations and help your loved ones make changes at home to reduce their risk of falls.
Call 772.567.5551 to get a free fall risk assessment.